Sunday, August 22, 2010

a note on fairness and entitlement

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a home where the expectation was that "all men are created equal."  (More later on why unfortunately that phrase DOESN'T include women.) There was a constant jarring of my senses when mother and I would go downtown shopping (there weren't yet shopping malls or suburbs in Austin) at the Scarborough department store.  One time a salesperson went apoplectic when I drank from the water fountain with the "Colored" sign near it (I was five years old).  In my high school years it was a time when other kids referred to the Agudas Achim synagogue as "The Church of the Burning Bush." 

A few days ago, I was going to lunch (alone) and looking for a parking space in Capitol Plaza  (love those Amaya's platters!)  I saw someone from work (of a different ethnic background) walking towards the Cici's Pizza, so I waved.  She looked startled.  As I came around the next row of parking spaces, I watched her get back into her car, talking to herself, with an expression like you get when something is unexpectedly sour.  After lunch, I went by her office.  She wasn't there but on her desk was a drink and crumpled bag from a nearby fast food place.  Draw your own conclusions!

Here's my question.  What would happen if I had done the same thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment